Another solid week of marathon training is behind me. Race day still feels really far away, but I’m trying to remind myself that February will be here before I know. (And probably before I’m ready.)
- Total miles run so far during training:68 (17 this week)
- Most motivational song on my playlist: “Give Your Heart a Break” by Demi Lovato.
- Interval run: Mile repeats – 3 miles at an 8:27 pace each and a quarter-mile break in between. It was a very sweaty run.
Tempo run: I missed this one for the second week in a row! I left my workout clothes at home – d’oh! I opted to ride the stationary bike the next day to get in a little more cardio without tiring my legs out.
- Long run: 12 miles.
- Emotional state: hungry (does that count as an emotional state?)
I did this week’s long run at Fort Bliss around the Parade Field.
Running somewhere new was a nice change of pace. There are only so many times I can run the same roads around my neighborhood. Despite the wind, it was just about perfect weather. Cold, but not too cold. Sunny with not a cloud in the sky. I could run for hours in that kind of weather. Good thing too since that’s what I did.
The views don’t hurt either. The marathon actually starts somewhere up there. Gulp. Good thing we are running down the mountain and not up.
I was very naughty on this run. I didn’t mind my pace. Whoopsie. Per my plan, I was supposed to run at 45 seconds slower than my goal pace. Instead I just ran willy nilly and ended up going to fast. I find that it’s harder to go slow (or conversely, easier to go fast) when it’s cold out. The first mile was too fast, and after that I just didn’t bother looking at my Garmin. Go ahead, here’s my hand, you can slap it. I need to practice pacing myself, and I need to trust in the plan.
The goals for next week:
- Complete my tempo run or bust
- Pay attention to my pace on my long run and actually attempt to run at that speed
- Keep being awesome. (Hey, I need at least one easy goal.)
My next long run is 14 miles, and I’m so ready to start getting into the bigger numbers. Finally!
To all my friends who didn’t get to run the Dallas Marathon this weekend (it was cancelled due to icy roads!), you are welcome to stay at my place if you want to sign up for the El Paso Marathon!