This was a step back week (aka lower mileage/shorter long run). It made my legs happy, but even better, it made me happy. I love to run, but sometimes a shorter run does the trick even better than a long run. So I ran a little less, but I some how ended up on the stationary bike a little more. (How’d that happen?)
- Number of workouts this week: 5 (interval run on the treadmill, 8 mile tempo run, 10 mile long run, two bike cross-training sessions)
- Total number of miles run so far during training: 130.9 (23.3 this week!)
- Geronimo’s total number of miles this week: 4.5
- Temperature on the coldest run: 32 degrees, windy, snow on the ground, but the sun was out!
- Days until the marathon: 63
The smartest thing I did this week was deciding to squeeze in my long run on Friday. It left my Saturday and Sunday wide open. Fantastico if you ask me! It was mighty cold out (32 with an icy chill in the air; it had snowed a little the night before), but the sun was out. When the sun comes out, I cannot help but answer the call.
Geronimo kept me company for 3 miles, and I did the remaining 7 on my own. I decided to run somewhere new, and I ended up all the way in Mantel! I run toward this town regularly, but I’ve never made it all the way there because there’s a stretch of road (about a tenth of a mile) with no sidewalk. The speed limit on the road is “as fast as you care to drive” so I was a little nervous about being sidewalk-less even for a short stretch. Luckily, it’s not a very popular road.
I’m so glad I went exploring. It’s always fun to switch things up. So even though Mantel is very hilly, with cobblestone roads, narrow sidewalks, and not very big (I was out of town and out of sidewalk in half a mile), it was fun to run there.
Long run Stats:
- 10 mile finish time: 1:41:57
- Average pace: 10:11 per mile
My goal pace for this run was 10:15. 10:11 is not too shabby if you ask me. I wrapped up Friday with a gloriously hot shower, compression socks, eating beans & rice, and watching Enemy at the Gates with my husband. Also not too shabby.
Another great week of training! Here’s hoping for 9 more just like it!*